Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2016

The importance of engaging community experts in public health

Prior to coming to the University of Maryland, my career and education was steeped in community work. When I learned I was going to Ethiopia to work with our colleagues in Debre Berhan, I was intent on continuing this pattern. After all, I could do all the literature searches in the world and still not have the expert knowledge of this community that would be needed to effectively carry out our work. I did my research but also prepared to interface with our colleagues and the community to see what they felt was important and hear what they had to say.  

Engaging the community and learning what they think is important and what they perceive as challenges is critical to effectively developing interventions. Since we were interested in branching out into food safety work from our work with gardening and nutrition, we needed to ask the community what actions they took to ensure the safety of their produce, what actions they took to prevent microbial contamination in the garden, and in what areas of food safety and gardening did they want education and training. The results from these surveys will be critical to developing education and outreach that is in line with what the community wants and needs.

I also had a great opportunity to speak to our DBU colleagues at a seminar. I spoke on food borne illness, and I shared information regarding the epidemiology, risk factors, and risk management techniques for foodborne illness here in the US. I also presented the results of my own literature review of food borne illness in Ethiopia.  Sharing the challenges we face in our own nation was a key aspect of my presentation, and this resonated with the audience. One faculty member noted that his community didn’t think that the US had a problem with foodborne illness, and hearing about our own difficulties made it easier for them to share their own challenges. A productive discussion of the challenges Ethiopia faces regarding food borne illness resulted.


I think one of the best examples of why this kind of community engagement is critical is a culturally important food in Ethiopia – Kitfo. Kitfo, and other foods like it, are dishes where meat is served raw. If our group had simply come in handing out meat thermometers and saying that everyone must cook their meat to a certain temperature, we might have missed the opportunity to ask key questions about food preparation practices, cultural relevance of ingredients and typical dishes, and to learn about how best to open a dialogue with the community and work together to improve health. I look forward to continuing to work with our Ethiopian colleagues!

No comments:

Post a Comment